Definition of bokeh, simply gibberish?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,121Gear list
Like?
Re: Definition of bokeh, simply gibberish?
In reply to guitarjeff, 4 months ago

guitarjeff wrote:

darngooddesign wrote:

guitarjeff wrote:

darngooddesign wrote:

guitarjeff wrote:

darngooddesign wrote:

guitarjeff wrote:

In other words, definitions are definite, they have to be, if they are not definite then they are not definitions.

Not necessarily. "Warm" has a definition despite the fact that someone from the equator assigns a different temperature range to warm than someone from the arctic does.

Hilarious. Warm is not a quality, it is a subjective description of temperature. You said it yourself, since every person might have a different SUBJECTIVE FEELING about what warm is, it is a subjective term. The temperature of an object is a QUALITY of it. Whether someone perceives it as warm is subjective.

Nice try, though.

I was arguing that something does not have to be definite to have a definition.

Then explain one, because warm is not a definition, it is a subjective term. Adefinition describes something real.

Warm is not a definition, warm has a definition.

Warm is subjective, It is stunning that you will not admit this obvious truth. Warm is an OPINION.

This is what I said previously and it pretty much states that warm is a subjective term.

"Warm" has a definition despite the fact that someone from the equator assigns a different temperature range to warm than someone from the arctic does.

The dictionary only says that there is a word called warm, and explains it as being subjective. Saying the word warm exists is not a definition with concrete parameters. So the best you can do here is say the word "Bokeh" exists, but you cannot tell me what it actually is BEYOND blur due to dof. Blur is the ONLY real thing that can be called blur, there is NOTHING else in the photo beyond the blur that IS NOT SUBJECTIVE!!

Both these photos have blurring, but with different qualities.

A real object has qualities, meaning you can describe it, measure it, agree with others that it has certain qualities. The chair has the qualoty of being brown, made of oak, and so on and so forth.

Bokeh has the qualities of being angular or smooth.

Now, you give me the descriptive qualities of "IS THE QUALITY" You can't, there is no thing called a quality as an object or phenomenon. Saying bokeh IS THE QUALITY and then not being able to describe concrete aspects of that real thing like I can describe qualities or aspects of a chair shows clearly that saying bokeh IS THE QUALITY is a meaningless, gibberish statement.

Smoothness.

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow