A7r 24-70 at 70mm vs EM1 12-40 at 40mm (80mm EFL)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,846Gear list
Like?
Re: Please Read more carefully...I did, but I looked even more carefully....
In reply to viking79, 9 months ago

viking79 wrote:

viking79 wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

viking79 wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

100% Truthful Crops...100% = 100%...

Guess I am not "politically correct"...

100% crop of m4/3 16 MP = 100% crop of m4/3 16 MP.

Go shoot with an old 6 MP DSLR and it will blow you away with how sharp it is at 100% crop.

Open your eyes and look at the rest of the image at the same magnification.

Eric

So you are saying if I change my jpeg setting to say to Middle setting I.E. 3200 X 2400 instead of the Large 4608 X 3456 that I can shoot the same landscape shot and it will look much better at 100%?

No, that is not what I said.

You can shoot full size and resize so they are similar. The Sony likely just throws out data to make smaller JPEG, i.e. I wouldn't trust the in-camera resizing algorithms.

What I am saying is use your photo editor of choice to make the crops the same magnification between the two cameras in a way that is not trying to push an agenda.

This will be like 100% crop on Oly and 50% crop on Sony, or 200% crop on Oly and 100% crop on Sony (roughly, don't know that I am saying entirely correct percentages).

Eric

One more thing, I am not trying to say that the 24-70mm f/4 is better than the 12-40mm on the OMD, just that make sure you compare them fairly. Be sure to check multiple corners to make sure you don't have a centering defect. As I mentioned, your 24-70mm in the upper left looks softer/harsher than it should. The corners are fairly bad at 14 and 70mm and a little ways either direction of those.

Full frame benefits that it doesn't need to have as good of lenses as a small sensor camera since you aren't enlarging the image as much, this is why we don't crop the same % to see similar fields of view. Also, the Olympus might be plenty good at even 20x30", so I am not discrediting that camera either, just saying we want to compare them in a way that makes sense.

Eric

Doesn't make sense to me Eric, I'm comparing real world reality output, resizing doesn't make any sense to me at all...otherwise I would just buy a 3Mp camera and be "good to go"...

The photos posted have really shown me that the A7r is not as great as I thought it to be and that the limiting factor is FE glass and the FE Mount...

I'm sure with the 24mm f/2 it will be great for Landscapes and with 55 FE it will be great for portraits...tempted to try with an A7 for sure, I think the 36Mp sensor is limited by the FE Glass and FE Mount, where the 24Mp sensor may not be when using the 24-70?

Nope doesn't look good for the A7 either, basically same findings as mine...

http://phillipreeve.net/blog/rolling-review-carl-zeiss-vario-tessar-t-fe-424-70-za/

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow