A7r 24-70 at 70mm vs EM1 12-40 at 40mm (80mm EFL)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,130Gear list
Like?
Re: Resize the A7/r to 16 MP to see how it compares...
In reply to LTZ470, 4 months ago

LTZ470 wrote:

Camley wrote:

LTZ470

If I understand what you have done (and I am not sure that I do!), it isn't a fair comparison at all.

What matters is that you compare images from the same size print. This has been discussed in multiple DPreview forums.

You must either enlarge the m4/3 image or reduce the size of the a7r image to do this or you are looking at per-pixel sharpness. Per-pixel sharpness favours cameras with lower pixel count.

The Nikon 800E users went through this incorrect way of comparing images in great detail. If I remember correctly there was someone who refused to accept that you can't simply compare per pixel sharpness.

So 100% may be 100% but you must normalize the print size.

To achieve a 100% crop of ANY photo you have to open with a program that opens them at 100% then you can make a 100% crop from that photo by cropping/cutting out any portion/area then Save As, this will give you 100% Crop of the photo...

Paint on Windows does this and Paintbrush on Macbook does this...

Anything else that does not do this is not a fair comparison at all...I.E. resizing...or making one photo crop 150% with the other being 100%...

Folks will try and make you believe anything, but 100% is 100%, NO ONE can change that...not even the forum experts, even though they would love to sell us the "used car with the great tires'..

Please, go read my thread carefully (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53254339) and re-read Camley's thread, and post if you have questions. You are not comparing the same thing, you are magnifying the higher MP image more.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow