This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
rich_r
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
Re: National Geographic
In reply to larsbc, 9 months ago

One other feature of RAW images not available with jpegs; is (what Lightroom calls) camera profiles. When you shoot jpeg you need to select a picture profile (standard, vivid, landscape, etc). That selection has a significant effect on the color of the final image. With a jpeg its nearly impossible to change that. When shooting RAW you can easily experiment with that during processing to see which profile produces the most pleasing colors. Furthermore, you are not limited to the camera manufacturer choices. Lightroom defaults to Adobe Standard, but provides the same manufacturer choices. More importantly you can create custom profiles (using a tool like the ColorChecker Passport).

I have several profiles I have created for my RX10. It's remarkable how much a custom camera profile can improve color accuracy (and yes I have a wide gamut color calibrated monitor). For extremely sensitive photo shoots you can create a camera profile for just that session.

There is no equivalent capability to "get the color right" with jpegs (at least not without significant post processing which seems to be to whole point of RAW vs jpeg argument).

-- hide signature --

Rich
-----------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richryan51/

rich_r's gear list:rich_r's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 60D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow