Geneva Motor Show: A77 meets Minolta colours (test shots & chasers)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,810Gear list
Like?
Re: Geneva Motor Show: A77 meets Minolta colours (test shots & chasers)
In reply to Michel J, 7 months ago

Michel J wrote:

JamieTux wrote:

Michel J wrote:

JamieTux wrote:

if anything I see underexposure (caused by harsh overhead lights I guess)

No this is not the lights, it's me. I confess that I have to increase my technique to get a better exposure. It was the first "real life" testing with this camera. And "no RAW" so "no second chance"... ( )

I find that I need to overexpose by 2/3 stop to get good skin tones on portraits (I normally shoot raw and do it there to save the highlights!) with the A99, I imagine that the A77 would have similar metering.

Thanks Jamie, I will take a better look to the histogram.

What kind of metering you use? Spot or Center-Weighted?

It doesn't make much difference really  the results come out quite dark - but I don't mind as the files are so clean and it means I get more highlight retention.  I have my own preset in Lightroom that turns the files into my images as I import them

In the other hand, It's me or sometimes the EVF (effects to "ON") doesn't return to us a completely faithful representation of the "real life" according to desired exposure? (It appeared one time to me, after I changed many times from "portrait" to "landscape", then I restarted the camera (turn it "OFF" and "ON" again), then everything gone be alright.)

Yeah - it takes a while for white balance to catch up too I like EVF most of the time - but with extreme contrasts or quickly changing light it gets in the way a bit!

I want to increase skills with .jpeg (exposure, WB, strategies to use light, fill in and so on) because I expect this workflow not require a lot of PP if I have to use the .raw.

Yes and no - it's consistency that's key as then you can use your own presets  I had a scary shoot last week where the client was looking at my laptop and got to see all of my images before me - there's still a few minutes of work per image despite the fact they loved them straight away!

I am only saying this as I am sure that you can deliver much better examples than this

I'm working on it, thanks....

I'm sure you'll be fine - how do you find your reproduction work with it?

aha, I'm not the guy who try to incrimate the equipment, if you know what I mean. So time will tell how much I'm bad ( )

I didn't say you were - I thought that I read that your job was reproduction photography, apologies if I got that wrong though.  It was a genuine question  I think at low ISO the Sony SLTs are pretty much perfect cameras for that job!

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Shoot RAW+ ...think JPEG »

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow