A bunch of firmware updates

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,599Gear list
Like?
Re: Looks like the same old behavior after the update on a K-5. n/t
In reply to awaldram, 7 months ago

awaldram wrote:

I don't see it from that point of view though you have a valid view.

I'm trying to see things from their point of view - might not be always successful, though

The converter is late to the party it's reasonable to assume possible purchases have already bought the lens they intend to use it with.

If we're thinking only in the past. But people are buying new lenses all the time.

The goal has to be to sell as many 'converters' as possible before any third parties appear.

I note in the spec stating any 3rd party lens compatibility even with a disclaimer would massively increase the market impact of the converter.

I never saw them stating that one of their products would work with a 3rd-party accessory, on the contrary - they're warning against "possible" harm.

And as I said, such things can't be said without testing. Do you see Pentax testing Sigma lenses, and eventually modifying their products to make 3rd-party ones work? Reverse engineering the reverse engineered Pentax protocols?

Nope, IMO it's a responsibility Pentax would not want and should not want. All they can do is to not intentionally prevent 3rd-party lenses from working, and I'm not aware of them ever doing that.

We have a saying cutting off your nose to spite your face.! which is what Ricoh are doing with this product (if it does have 3rd capability).

Potential sales will not happen because of confusion as to it's applicability to users existing glass.

This lack of initial take-up may end up being 3rd party converter sales or even longer 3rd party glass.

so IMO not making a statement on the converter global appeal far from protecting Ricoh assets will have the opposite effect not generating additional lens sales and damping converter enthusiasm .

Of cause if there is no 3rd party working saying that as well would help with purchasing decisions .

Take my case I'm 80% SDM 20% HSM , If the converter worked with all I'd have pre-ordered happily, If it was reported it didn't work then I probably would have still ordered.

Because we just don't know I decided to wait

I will wait for 'user reports and monitor any 'Sigma' response to incompatibility.

And that's all it takes. A temporary situation which will resolve itself...

Sigma are likely to take one of two paths.

1 release their own converters with both SDM/HSM

2 update FW for Ricoh compatibility.

If Sigma announce option 1 I will not be buying the Ricoh product

The Pentax RC is on the market; a new Sigma TC is just an "if". Hard choice

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow