I'd love to have this in my next camera!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,407Gear list
Like?
Re: I'd love to have this in my next camera!
In reply to Chimere, 7 months ago

Chimere wrote:

For the occasional long exposure night landscapes, some short star trails may not be noticeable, long trails actually might be more interesting instead. For serious deep sky photography this feature is next to useless. For good pictures of the planets one needs a good and powerful telescope, a long tele alone will not do as it will produce only mediocre images. I can not imagine this to be a deal maker for many of us. Hardly anybody will become a backyard astronomer because the camera has this odd feature. Serious stargazing amateurs will buy equipment specializing on their hobby. It appears to me to be desperate move, looks like some manufacturers are running out of features to punch into their creations.

Chimere

I didn't say I wanted to use this for deep sky photography.  Having done some of my own astrophotography, I know the limitations this has but can also see its benefits for those that don't have dedicated equipment or don't do astrophotography enough to warrant the more expensive, dedicated equipment.

Yes, star trails CAN be interesting when you want them.  But if you want to do a fairly detail wide field photo and the landscape is of no concern, this would be a great option for those that want shots of the milky way or of certain clusters.  Since photo stacking is quite useful in astrophotography, this would be quite a given to get the most out of it.

As for deep sky photography, this still has its uses.  Here are some shots I found through Flickr of people that used the AstroTracer feature.  Since they are not my photos I will not be posting them via the picture option, but will be linking to them instead:

Andromeda Galaxy (M31), stacked

M42 Orion Nebula, stacked

Orion Nebula, Flame Nebula

Orion Nebula

Milky Way, Grand Canyon

There are plenty more good examples out there.  Seeing these makes me think you may not know the full capabilities of it and assume it is not much more than a gimmick.

Again, I am not saying this a replacement for a Polarie or Optron, but we already have most of the tech in our current cameras for this so it wouldn't be too unrealistic for the rest of it to be available in the next gen of cameras.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow