Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
eastwestphoto
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
Legacy lenses on the Sony A7r
9 months ago

It's been weeks now of Testing old legacy lenses on the New Sony A7r @ 36 Meg file size. I have tested well over 25 lenses from yesteryear all on the same subject from the same distance under the same lighting. My conclusion is that No lens can touch the German Leitz Leica Summicron CL 40mm F:2. All where shot at F:4 for comparison @ full magnification in play back mode. All were manually focused @ 7x and checked to make sure they were ultra sharply focused. many great lenses from yesteryear legacy were really great optics, BUT not like the Summicron 40mm CL F:2 of German build. At full playback magnification the image still held up in sharpness. Here is a trade secret, the color of the coating on the lens seems to make a difference? What you say? Are you kidding me? No, sorry to say, its true! purplish coated lenses don't seem to perform as well as they should?
So taking a page from the book of filtration of the 1950's I placed a 85c filter on the Summicron and the Voigtlander Cosina 21mm F:4 chrome version m39 lens. The photos improved greatly in sharpness and warmth was similar to Kodachrome l asa 10 film. I was shocked, so beautiful are the photographs! Don't think they are overly reddish orange as I used a red painted barn in the white snow as a test subject. Most legacy lenses are too bluish cast in the Test. The Summicron amazed me! Maybe all those legacy lenses needed a 85c? So i want you pro's out there that truly understand what i am saying to Test for Yourself? Tell me what you think. The extreme 21mm voigtlander has a nodal point of the rear lens element so close to the chip plane that the sides of the photo color shift with a highly noticeable purplish cast. You can correct this with the 85c filter to 80% better results at least on the Sony A7r. It's not perfect, its a cheaper 21mm with a very small profile in size on the A7r, which makes it very desirable to me! So is the Leitz leica Summicron 40mm CL F:2, size matters, I don't like the SLR lens of legacy as they are so nose long on there adapters and heavy. best Regards, Don@eastwestphoto

eastwestphoto's gear list:eastwestphoto's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow