What's the big deal with the retro thing?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,207Gear list
Like?
Re: What's the big deal with the retro thing?
In reply to John Rausch, 7 months ago

John Rausch wrote:

Well, lots of comments!

The X-T1 has been described as "retro" by about have of the places I've seen it described. And several of the posters have said, in so many words, that they just like it. I suppose for them it's something like wearing a Breitling-style watch. In fact, in another thread a poster had a picture of just such a watch alongside a digital techno watch asking which would you choose.

Others have said the retro look is simply a side effect of have functional dials instead of menus or other buttons or wheels to make the changes. Fair enough. Maybe I haven't given it enough time to grow on me. I have to admit that I really liked the idea of individual dials, but in my using them so far, settings have been awkward. Some inconsistent things have been a minor problem, like the auto setting for a lens being all the way clockwise on the 35, a switch on the 18-55 and non-existant (no aperture ring or switch) on the 50-230, which I like a lot -- I rented the 55-200 and prefer the 50-230 for my infrequent telephoto use.

Maybe it's because I am so used to my now-gone Canon DSLRs that I find the mode dial and thumb wheel convenient.

Lest anyone have any doubts, I am more than pleased with my X-T1 and X-M1 (for infrared) and lenses. But still puzzled by why a camera's appearance matters that much.

-- hide signature --

John Rausch

Exactly. Perhaps it is just preference? I like the dials and simple Fuji menu.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow