Scottish Pentaxians! (or those who've been)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Heie2
Regular MemberPosts: 480Gear list
Like?
Scottish Pentaxians! (or those who've been)
7 months ago

I'm fulfilling a bucket list bullet by backpacking through your beautiful country!

I (literally, as in yesterday) just found out where my career will take me, and part of every duty station move/re-location is a period associated with taking copious amounts of leave. Because my move is sooner than the average move timeline (<45 days notice rather than 90+ days notice), I cannot take the full 30 days of usual block leave (I still have to do all the not-so-fun stuff such as move all my personal belongings to the States, sell my car, cancel all rent/phone/internet/utilitity/etc. contracts (auf Deutsch!), and clear the military installation (another 10-day process by itself).

Jenny and I are flying into Edinburgh on 20 or 21 March (Thursday/Friday). She will be there just through the weekend (she has to get back to work), while I will continue on exploring for the next two weeks or so.

That being said, does anyone have any must-see recommendations, both to visit and any really awesome/unique/fun lodging arrangements? I'm not opposed to renting a car, although I prefer public transit because it would be easier and cheaper for this type of trip (especially just me). My cousin lives in Glasgow (she married a Scot and moved there), and another priority is the Scottish Highlands. Other than that, my tangible knowledge of Sean Connery's homeland ends with his (amazing) accent.

For those who live off the beaten path, in exchange for a roof over my head I promise to be the most enthusiast farm-hand you've ever had to help out with the daily grind One of my friends lived on a farm and all through college I would visit because I just loved doing all the farmwork I missed out on while growing up in the city. Or at the very least we could just meet up for coffee. Either way, let me know if there's a specific camera/lens that I own you would like me to bring and I have no problem letting you play around with it/them. Of course, this doesn't include the telemonsters - would you want to backpack with one of those?

-Heie

-- hide signature --

Need affordable /weather sealing/ in a DSLR you can trust?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw&feature=player_embedded
Think there aren't any opportunities to shoot in poor weather, and thus no benefits to weather sealing?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=42338261

Heie2's gear list:Heie2's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow