Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cosmicnut
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Metz 36 AF-5 Oly behavior
4 months ago

I'm about to head off for a con with my Olympus E-PL3, not the latest and greatest but it does the job.

A problem I had was the rather naff popup style flash. Not being able to afford a top of the line flash I went for the Metz. It has good reviews and was what I needed.

It works OK, recycle time is far better than the popup and gives me the coverage I need.

The con I'm heading too this time is a little different, its completely indoors in a hotel so little light.

I decided to get an off camera slave to remove some of the harshness of the main flash.

Here the problems started.

The off camera speedlite is a fully manual affair and can be triggered by the cameras main flash.

With the little popup, this worked perfectly. Attach the Metz and 9/10 times the off camera flash fired late. Is this normal? Is it because I'm just too cheap? 

To try and solve it I got a set of wireless triggers with TTL passthrough (Commlite G430), hoping it was to do with the light based triggering of the off camera flash.

Still no dice. Metz off and the remote flash triggered properly, Metz on and again the remote flash triggered late.

Am I missing something basic here?

Olympus PEN E-PL3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow