What if....

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,919Gear list
Like?
Re: What if....
In reply to Holger Bargen, 5 months ago

I'm not sure where EITHER company stands financially at the moment, Holger, nor how either company's CAMERA division is. Ricoh appears to be a much larger company than I'd imagined they were, but that said, Sony is THE GIANT of the consumer electronics world, likely bigger than all the others combined except, perhaps, Samsung (which seems to be EATING THEIR LUNCH in some areas).

Still, even if Sony IS bigger that doesn't mean they might not want to shed their camera division as they're shedding Vaio, which I'd thought was a very good part of their business (Vaio laptops have always struck me as some of the best on the market).

But, yaknow, as big as IBM is it sold of its entire consumer computer division to China quite a few years back, which then became Lenovo. So I guess it IS possible.

I've recently noticed, via ads for Hoya filters (recall Hoya owned Pentax until two years ago), that it appears Hoya (or at least its FILTERS) are now a part of KenkoTokina, as THAT website is the one shown at the bottom of their ads in the magazines. So it appears a lot of these companies buy and sell parts of each other.

Would be GREAT for us Pentaxians if Ricoh bought Sony's camera division, I think, as Sony has done some very innovative things with their cameras in recent years.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow