Pull the trigger or wait? D800

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,750Gear list
Like?
Re: Pull the trigger or wait? D800
In reply to Metaxzen, 9 months ago

My guess is a D800s to replace D800/e in perhaps 9 months at 30% more than current street price until mid 2015, with some of the D4s improvements including Expeed 4.

Adding to most of the comments from a different direction the 80-400 AF-s launched in the UK at £2,550 early this year. As soon as it dropped to £2,100 I bought it - and have used it extensively in the last 7 months to get pictures I would not otherwise have got.

I can now get it for £100 less but would not have got a lot of pictures I now have

Compared to 12 MP the D800 puts about 20-25% more resolution in the image file usually with better noise, greater dynamic range with the bonus of more advanced AF.

The D800 street is now more than 25% lower than launch price.

An upgrade might have slightly better high ISO noise, slightly more dynamic range, slightly better AF and better video but for most photographers this may make less than 5% of their pictures a little better.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why you want to miss out on taken better pictures for maybe a year or more because you think a camera might be upgraded? Every camera gets upgraded - the  launch price usually helps keep second prices good if a new product is right for you,

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
We all aspire to take great photos but may always achieve this perhaps due to a lack of application, a lack of knowledge, or even a lack of talent.
The best photographers probably work quite hard at their photography.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow