What's the big deal with the retro thing?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Dave Sanders
Contributing MemberPosts: 925Gear list
Like?
Chicks dig it!! No joke.
In reply to John Rausch, 8 months ago

John Rausch wrote:

Steam powered next? Wind-up maybe? I don't get it. Seriously, I'm not trolling, I want to know the appeal.

Seriously. It's been proven.

But dating potential and looks aside, it is simply another approach to ergonomic access to commonly used functions. I personally like the dials on the X-T1. I loved the idea on the Nikon Df, just not the execution. The dials on the X-T1 allow for some key controls to be immediately visually confirmed. For me, this is probably the greatest appeal. I find the two control dial method of modern digital cameras very fast and intuitive, but it's nice to be able to look down at a camera before raising it to one's eye and be able to see ISO, aperture and exposure compensation. All X cameras (and the RX1) have the exposure comp dial in the right place to be easily used by the thumb and I use a lot of exposure compensation...and I can't count how many times I've lost good frames due to not checking the ol' +/- in the viewfinder. Or by playing with my camera at night as I sit on the couch, usually in high ISO, only to find my first few shots the next day are terrible as I've taken them at the same high ISO. I know, I know, I should notice these things. But I don't always, so the visual confirmation is nice.

It's also nice to be able to change aperture on the lens while my camera is on the tripod. I don't know why, but I have a bit of a routine where I remove my ND to check focus or add/remove more density and then calculate exposure in my head and then look at the camera and then grab aperture ring to adjust up or down. I could easily look at the LCD but this just seems to be part of my habit. As I generally shoot in A(perture) or B mode, the shutter speed dial is less of a draw, though having instant access to Bulb is very nice.

So, to recap. Women throw themselves at your feet. Camera control paradigm works well.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow