Thinking about getting the NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II for portraits! Any advice is appreciated

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
crosstype
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking about getting the NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II for portraits! Any advice is appreciated
In reply to bmcdad, 5 months ago

I have the lens and the best thing from it is to show off and bump up your price. Yes the optical quality is supreme, i.e. extremely high resolution and extremely low CA.

I have shot 3 weddings with the lens and I can tell that it is less convenient than the 70-200mm f2.8. You'll definitely need a secondary camera body to cover up other focal lengths such like 35mm (for me it's Sony RX1R for portability).

When shooting portraits, you'll need some good trigger such like the PocketWizard TT5, and also perhaps a radio to communicate with the model without having to shout out loudly. You might also want a tripod, though I handhold it most of the time.

Have fun with it!

crosstype's gear list:crosstype's gear list
Sony RX1R Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow