Thinking about getting the NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II for portraits! Any advice is appreciated

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Onetrack97
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking about getting the NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II for portraits! Any advice is appreciated
In reply to bmcdad, 7 months ago

I have the VR1.

First and foremost, it is a beast to handle.  If your a big strong guy, you can hand hold it for a while.  Otherwise, plan on a monopod, tripod, and/or camera stand.

Also, I often use a gimbal (ProMedia Gear) when on the tripod or camera stand.

I use it with the D7100 when I'm doing events.  Spectacular with instant focus.  I used this lens for a couple of years before I started doing what others were recommending.  Shoot it wide open.

I use it with the D800 and D3 for portrait work.  It's always great but find a way to shoot it wide open.  If you use off camera flash, this can be a challenge with limited sync speeds.  You can drop in a ND filter to help but of course, the viewfinder is then darker than normal.

You will need to fine tune the focus on each camera to get the best focus at f2.0.

Fits well with the hood on and camera mounted in a Think Tank Glass Taxi.

-- hide signature --

Scott

Onetrack97's gear list:Onetrack97's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow