Noise, artifact, and CA question

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
pkokity
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: Noise, artifact, and CA question
In reply to DrewE, 9 months ago

DrewE wrote:

I'm not completely sure I understand what you mean by noise and artifacts and such "popping up" more with the K-3. If you look at individual pixels, there will be a bit more noise per pixel for the K-3, mainly because the individual pixels are smaller. If you look at equal image sizes, the differences are pretty minor (though the K-5IIs may have a very narrow edge).

Hi DrewE. Here is my dilemma:

The K-5ii(s) has better ratings for image quality, mainly the DR. I want to get back into photography to take pictures textures and weathered stuff. Pentax's rendering of images and higher DR seems to be what generates the greatest depth to the images. The K-5ii is ranked as having a 0.7EV advantage over the K-3.

The K-3 has several improved features, that would probably make it easier for me to learn to use it. Plus, it has a higher resolution for counting the hairs on an ant's nose, pollen stuck to the bees legs, bubbles in a dog's saliva, or whatever.  The positive points of the K-3 are learning me that way despite the fact that I want the best DR possible., but, I am hearing that the higher resolution of the K-3 sensor produces more noise and artifacts.

So, I am now wondering if a better quality of lens (aperture/faster glass or any other property) can reduce how much noise and artifact appear in the image. I know that PP noise reduction can negatively affect image quality (eg. fujifilm has great noise reduction but waxy skin rendering) so that is why I am asking about how/if lens quality can affect/reduce noise and artifacts.

In short, if better glass helps the image quality of the K-3, it would ease my mind about missing out on the greater DR of the K-5ii(s) to have the advancements in the K-3.

OK, maybe the CA part did not make much sense how I typed it. I was just wondering if/how aperture affects CA. In other words, would buying a lens with a better aperture (2.8 or less vs. something higher) helps. Image-resource.com talks about finding more fringing with the K-3, than with the K-5ii.

CA is affected by lens aperture; precisely how varies with different lenses. . . CA will be a little more noticeable at the pixel level with the K-3, of course, because the pixels are smaller and more numerous, but won't vary in between bodies in relation to the image as a whole.

So, aperture does affect CA to some degree.

Thanks for your input.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow