Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?
Definition of bokeh, simply gibberish?
4 months ago

Bokeh is defined as “the effect of a soft out-of-focus background that you get when shooting a subject, using a fast lens, at the widest aperture, such as f/2.8 or wider.”

i agree with this first part.  It is the blur due to shallow dof.

Simply put, bokeh is the pleasing or aesthetic quality of out-of-focus blur in a photograph.

This above is the gibberish part.  A "THING" cannot be an aesthetic opinion, if it were, then you could say a thing exists for one person if he likes it,and doesn't exist for someone else if they don't.  To say it is subjective is really saying nothing about it at all that could be considered a definition.

A quality is an aspect of something. An aspect or quality of something has definable parameters. Never have accepted the artsy definition thrown around because a definition has to be definite, or it isn't definition.

If Bokeh "is" the quality, then is it a sliding scale, meaning one person can say there is bokeh in a photo while another says there is none at all? Saying bokeh is the quality is not a definition at all. That's why I define it as simply the blur due to shallow depth of field. Then we can discuss whether we actually like the bokeh (the blur due to dof), or not. We can decide whether we like the various "Qualities" of the bokeh (blur due to dof) or not, but there will be no argument on whether the bokeh actually exists or not, it will have a concrete definition. In other words, the definition will be definite.

So the standard attempt at a definition appears to be gibberish. Isn't bokeh simply the Japanese word for blur? Anyway, I have set the photography world straight and saved the day for logically minded folks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow