Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vstolpner
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Lens Upgrade Question: Oly 12-40mm 2.8 vs. Oly 17mm 1.8
6 months ago

I'm looking to upgrade my lens collection would love the input on the choice between two lenses.

I've got an OM-D E-M5 with an Oly 12-50mm and a PanaLeica 25mm. I love the P25 but find it too narrow for most of my indoor shots (and indeed for some outdoor), however the O12-50 is just too dark for the indoors, especially when kids are involved and longer exposure is not an option. So I'm debating between two options and no matter how many reviews I read I just can't seem to make up my mind. I would really enjoy the convenience of not having to switch lenses (hence the Oly 12-40mm 2.8), however I need to know that the lens will be bright enough for low light photography (which is why the second option of the Oly 17mm 1.8). While I can always plug in the flash, I really prefer natural light photos, so would rather pick up a fast enough lens right away.

Has anyone used both lenses in low light scenarios with some movement (i.e. kids) to be able to comment?

My shooting preferences are:

• Natural light if I can help it
  • Low light shooting requirements
  • Fast enough aperture to maintain a fast shutter speed (I don't go above ISO 1600)
  • As few lens changes as possible

Any comments more than welcome.

Vstolpner's gear list:Vstolpner's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow