ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DDWD10
Regular MemberPosts: 281Gear list
Like?
New to Pentax DSLRs - Lens Advice Appreciated
9 months ago

Hello everyone,

I have been using Pentax compacts (Q, MX-1) and Fujifilm APS-C cameras (X-Pro1, X-T1) but have now decided to return my Fujifilm gear and instead buy a K-5 IIs.  Certain ergonomic and quality control issues with the Fujifilm bodies have convinced me to jump ship and take advantage of some of the recent deals on Pentax DSLRs... I ordered the K-5 IIs today for under $700 new.

My initial kit is planned to include:

1. K-5 IIs
  2. 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 WR
  3. Rokinon 85mm f/1.4
  4. D-BG4 battery grip to balance out larger and heavier lenses

Before I pull the trigger on items 2-4, would anybody care to suggest any other options?

The 18-55mm would be my standard walkaround zoom.  I also considered the 16-45mm and 17-70mm but overall found the 18-55mm WR to offer a better value plus the bonus of WR.

I considered going with the DA* 55mm f/1.4 against the Rokinon but realized WR wouldn't be worth it to me on a portrait lens and bokeh and sharpness of the Rokinon proved better on reviews and samples that I looked at.

Also, could anyone recommend a good ultra wide prime for landscape shooting, 14mm or wider?  Third party is fine.  Leaving behind my Fujinon 14mm f/2.8 is heartbreaking.

DDWD10's gear list:DDWD10's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +4 more
Fujifilm X-T1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax MX-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow