ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lbass
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
NEX-6 plus 18-200 Sports Advice
4 months ago

Hey guys,

I'm going to an Australian Rules football game tonight and will have my NEX-6 and 18-200 with me. It's a practice game so I'm going to be sitting really close to the game (normally 200mm isn't nearly long enough sitting up in the stands). I was wanting some settings/tips for capturing sports. The game is at night. Bounce down is at 6pm so I will have a better chance in the first half before the sun has set. I'm never happy with my shots when I shoot sports. What's the best strategy?

My questions:

What should be my minimum shutter speed?

What f-stop should I be shooting at the 200 end? Not that the 18-200 is very fast at 200 but obviously increasing my aperture would provide greater depth of field, with more chance of getting the players in focus. The issue with this is that the game is at night and going to f8-f11 etc makes it harder to keep my shutter really short.

What autofocus mode should I shoot? Should I even shoot autofocus? Is the AF continuos mode the way to go and fire off heaps of photos or should I be measured and try and get more keepers in AF-S?

Should I boost my ISO when I get there to give myself more of a chance? My photos are really noisy at 3200 and I rarely like them.

I'd love to get one keeper photo tonight! Clearly this is a difficult task for my skill level but I'd appreciate some tips so I have a solid strategy before hand?

lbass's gear list:lbass's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow