ZS40/TZ60 vs the competition

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Ianperegian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,926
Like?
Re: TZ60 vs LF1 vs LX7 @ 10MP
In reply to Greynerd, 9 months ago

Greynerd wrote:

I am not sure why you consider these as alternatives. Then of course with the TZ40 being unable to switch the touch screen off there is a problem with us left eye dominant people taking pictures with our nose with a corner viewfinder.

My apologies, as I took that out of context somewhat. I think he actually said that if he had to choose, he would rather have a touchscreen than the EVF, especially as he didn’t seem to like the quality of the EVF.

About switching the touchscreen off, as others too have said in the past, with my ZS30 I find that occasionally I can activate the touchscreen or take a shot purely by accident. That could easily be solved by transferring the on/off switch from the touchscreen to a menu item.

Probably the cost of rewriting the firmware coupled with the cost of the viewfinder did make it an alternative. One poster said with a great deal of truth that camera firmware is pretty well cast in stone so presumably touch screen had to go.

That’s an interesting point. I wasn’t aware of that.

One irritation with the TZ40 is that metering mode which I like to have accessible is buried in page 3 of the menu as far as I have found. Is it any easier to change it with the TZ60? It does show the problems in developing firmware that tabbing pages seems to defeat many camera makers and it means wading down pages and pages of options with just the cursor or a dial.

I agree there, as I have often thought I’d prefer the metering mode to be in the “Quick Menu” on my ZS30. IMHO, it could replace the movie setting, which is currently shown in the QM. I don’t think many users would require to be switching often between different movie modes, so that could go into the main menu instead.

I find though that by quickly scrolling through the menu pages using the zoom lever makes individual menu items not all that hard to access.

Ian

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow