Interesting article posted by Kirk Tuck...All the cameras are better than you are

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Ednaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,364
Like?
hate the attitude, agree with the conclusions
In reply to DaveLemi, 6 months ago

I paid for my car racing habit for 12 years by building out cars, winning a few races, then selling the cars to people who thought, if I just had that car, I could turn his lap times.  They never could match my lap times.  They thought hardware was the key to success.  I was living breathing walking proof that skills development was more valuable than hardware - I could outrun a lot of purpose built road race cars in a mid-size sedan from a rental agency.  I didn't have talent, I had skill developed from running many times as many practice laps as anyone else.  I always told buyers that they should invest in skills more than hardware, but until they experienced the gap themselves, most didn't believe me.

I think the same thing is true in photography.  There are dozens of point and shoots that are more capable, with more dynamic range, better optics, and overall better raw files produced, than the D100 and D1X that I used to use and love a very long time ago.  Once you've got image stabilization, raw file production, bracketing options, and some degree of focal lengths, the best investment for most photographers would be investments in knowledge and skills and not hardware.

That said, there are a lot of people for whom photographic hardware is as much their hobby and interest as photography itself.  I completely understand that.  There's more than one way to enjoy the taking and making of pictures.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow