D7100 exposure accuracy?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Mystery Guy
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Re: Also
In reply to Mako2011, 6 months ago

> You didn't use liveview did you? You don't happen to have ADL set to "on" do you?That can account for some of the dif.

ADL is off and I wasn't using Live-View.

> Open in ViewNX2 and see if the look just as different

In View NX2 the .JPG and .NEF looks almost identical with only a very small difference in the histograms between them. Opening the JPG in Photoshop CS 6 also looks the same.

> Also (pulling at straws) might be a light issue in this case with cycles....try with flash and see what happens.

Here's a new set of pictures with Native Light, Direct flash from an SB-700 , and Bounce Flash. This is with Matrix Metering, Aperture Priority, F22.

In this case, I think the ambient light one looks the best and the Bounce Flash is the darkest for some reason.

In general, I sometimes see great results, but I'm trying to figure out why sometimes things look so different despite the same frame composure.

P.S.: I just realized that at F22, 1/30s and the ambient light used, the flash modes report significant underexposure (in the camera meter display) since it appears to be determined to use 'TTL-BL' mode. So maybe that's what's up with the flash images.

It seems to me that being able to choose TTL only mode would be nice (without having to resort to spot metering).

Ambient

Direct Flash

Bounce

Mystery Guy's gear list:Mystery Guy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
How?New
spotNew
AlsoNew
TrueNew
sureNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow