Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,235
Like?
Sigma 500/4.5 versus DA560
7 months ago

Very nice to see someone posting images of the pentax DA560mm on the K3! It has awesome resolving power, apparently rendering very fine detail with a casual ease. This is of course one of the selling points of this lens, together with the DC motor (and consequently silent and accurate AF) and weather sealing. The lens on the roadmap was actually what lured me to Pentax when I decided to sell my Olympus equipment, but when it was released it turned out 2000,- more expensive than I had expected and I consequently got the sigma 500/4.5. But the DA560 is still in the back of my mind for weather sealing and the DC motor and the promise of very accurate AF.

I am curious as to what people in general feel about the rendering style of the DA560, especially when comparing with a "classical" telephoto like the Sigma 500/4.5. Both lenses have their strengths, but although I would gladly welcome the impressive resolving power of the DA560, I am attached to the more classical rendering of telephoto designs, especially as I like to shoot birds amongst branches. The Sigma 500 very nicely turns busy branches into abstract colorful mush, and that is a strong point of a long telephoto lens in my opinion. Here is an example of the classical rendering of the Sigma that makes impossible shots (branches in the way) more or less acceptable.

Chris

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow