D4s still lacks wifi and gps!!!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
mgblack74
Senior MemberPosts: 1,607Gear list
Like?
Re: D4s still lacks wifi and gps!!!
In reply to golf1982, 8 months ago

I don't understand why you need GPS? We've figured out where we are by maps for many hundreds of years.

Wifi? Consumer models refresh every year, wifi tech progresses with it. The little units that come in the D5300 or accessories for the D3200 & D5200 are anemic at best. Meant to upload 24mp DX photos to your phone or tablet one every 5 seconds. These are too slow for the data that the D4/s needs to put into the webisphere.

Consider also that if the wifi part built in a D4s fizzles, then what? Send it in for repair for a part of the camera unrelated to taking pictures? Sure you can send it in during down time but how many events or gigs have gone by without the ability to send files wirelessly? The external wifi devices make sense for this class of camera (Dprobody). If it dies, you resort to plan B... LAN. You can keep shooting and just get another wifi unit without loss of time without the camera.

If someone is going to have a D4s for a few years it is possible that wifi tech evolves to become faster and smaller independant of the body it's meant to work with. I'd rather upgrade wifi thingamees than the whole cameras. As it is now we upgrade a body to get different resolution and low light performance properties. Imagine the uproar when a D5s comes out with improved internal wifi capability. People are bemoaning the D4s processor increase which is pretty integral to the photographic experience. I.e. It's the 2nd most important part of the camera. Imagine the uproar when a $15 tech boost means a $1000 price increase for a successive model.

Besides. Wifi built in is just something else the NSA can tap into.
--
"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow