Interesting article posted by Kirk Tuck...All the cameras are better than you are

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,509Gear list
Like?
You got it! Thanks. It's really sad. Good comment on George Washington.
In reply to Marty4650, 4 months ago

The only thing I can add is that the absence of gays and blacks can be understood in the light of the fact that the whole gender thing is messed up here (hence, the quiz) and blacks, and other non-Korean nationalities are just not present. These people just don't get out, and they suffer for it; I can't prove it, but I feel a real lack of interest in the outside world. In fact, there was an article in the WSJ two days ago about how Korean tolerance for inter-racial marriages has actually gone down. Inter-racial means marrying just about anyone not born here; they especially don't like Chinese. The same feeling is true in the north (DPRK), where "the perfect race" lives.

There is a big difference between this situation and that in the major Chinese cities, where people are much more tolerant and interested in the world, despite the government controlling the internet, news, etc. At least they know things aren't right and that there are alternatives.

Lastly, I don't want to seem too negative about Korea. I live in an area where there are no foreigners. It took some months, but now people have warmed up to me (and my cocker spaniel) and have become helpful and friendly. But, that's an exception, probably due to the fact that everyone has realized I'm basically a harmless buffoon and the dog a canine equivalent.

Speaking of George Washington, last night I started a book on Roger's Rangers, and got into the mood by watching the 1939 Spencer Tracy classic "Northwest Passage." Why am I living in Seoul and studying the French and Indian War (Seven Years War for you purists)? Who knows...but life should be fun...

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow