What's the big deal with the retro thing?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,428Gear list
Like?
Re: What's the big deal with the retro thing?
In reply to mr moonlight, 8 months ago

mr moonlight wrote:

LaFonte wrote:

John Rausch wrote:

Steam powered next? Wind-up maybe? I don't get it. Seriously, I'm not trolling, I want to know the appeal.

-- hide signature --

John Rausch

Since most of the people with disposable money are, ehm, older, this is solely aimed to invoke warm and fuzzy memories in that generation. Who ever is buying gets the nod. Wait 30 years and the retro cameras will look like iphone. And everyone will say how retro it is.

There are not many buyers left who still remember steam powered cars so I dont think cameras will go that way either.

I think this is part of it, but retro has always had a bit of appeal to younger folks as well. Classic cars, vintage clothes, watches, guitars... Most things pass into history never to be revitalized. I don't expect to see cassettes or tube TV's come into fashion since they are clearly inferior to what modern technology has given us. On the other hand certain things have lived on for one reason or another. It could be just style, but there's often a functional aspect that modern tech has lost or is unable to replicate. Vinyl records still sound better than any of the common digital formats, fountain pens vary the weight of your lines, and Fuji's retro cameras give the user tactile controls over buttons and menus.

The think about retro is that not everyone is supposed to get it. That's part of what makes it cool. Why drive a classic car over a modern day one? Sure, the newest Mustang may blow a 64' out of the water when it comes to performance, features, reliability, comfort...., but which one will attract more girls?

Well converse All Stars are retro, seems the young really like retro.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow