What's the big deal with the retro thing?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171Gear list
Like?
Retro isn't the only appeal
In reply to John Rausch, 7 months ago

John Rausch wrote:

Steam powered next? Wind-up maybe? I don't get it. Seriously, I'm not trolling, I want to know the appeal.

-- hide signature --

John Rausch

The appeal of "retro" cameras has little to do with looks for me (and others like me).

It is has to do with form and function. I learned photography on film SLR's with direct exposure controls, and have missed that sort of visceral, immediate control during much of the digital age. So-called "retro" cameras finally give photographers that level of control again.

The X-T1 in particular, combined with a Fuji lens with a real aperture ring, is just amazing to see again after so long. Very reminiscent of the superb Canon A-1 I used for so long way back when (still have it and it still works).

Also, so-called "retro" cameras tend to be smaller and lighter than the digital behemoths of our time, the DSLR.

As for looks, well that's subjective. Maybe some prefer the look of modern cameras, and some prefer "retro" looking cameras. But FWIW I do think the Fuji X's are sleek and handsome in styling.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow