What's the big deal with the retro thing?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
t3htriste
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
Re: What's the big deal with the retro thing?
In reply to Aethon, 6 months ago

Aethon wrote:

I'll take you at your word that you're not trolling, so I'd answer in two ways:

1. Dedicated dials instead of unmarked wheels are more intuitive, always available even when the camera is off, and make the camera easier and more fun to use.
  2. Blobby black plastic cameras are boring, soulless appliances. They're efficient, but so is a Ford Taurus. If you like that kind of car, that's fine. I just feel sorry for your loss and for the experiences you are missing.

So yes, as Luminous Landscape just pointed out a couple of days ago, the X-T1 may lose the ability to save a bunch of settings as a custom group. Boo-hoo. Mommy won't wipe my face clean any more.

I think the word retro is leading to you misunderstanding the appeal. It's not just that the cameras look nice and feel good (though those things are true) but it's that dials and aperture rings are actually a great way to control a multitude of settings.

If you don't understand, that's okay. There are lots of black blobs out there to choose from.

+1.

I find myself picking up the X100S over the D600 even when taking photos around the house.

t3htriste's gear list:t3htriste's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow