Thinking about getting the NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II for portraits! Any advice is appreciated

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,099Gear list
Like?
I use the 200 VR (I) whenever I can for people/portraits
In reply to bmcdad, 5 months ago

bmcdad wrote:

I rented the NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR I for my trip to West Africa and fell in love with the lens. I'm now thinking seriously about purchasing the lens (VRII) to utilize in my Wedding/Portrait work. What do you guys think? would anyone with the lens on a full frame body recommend it for portrait work?

Here's the link to the images I took with the lens in Africa and the D3.

http://billmcdad.com/thank-you-africa-2/

-- hide signature --

HI!

I've used the "I" version of the 200VR on D3 and D4 bodies. The lens excels at people shots.

I don't do studio work, but here are some shots from a local Renaissance Fair, almost all taken with the 200 Vr (I) (and a few with the Zeiss 135/2 toward the end of the gallery):

Renaissance Fair

And some other 200VR shots here (including a few of the above Ren Fair shots):

200VR Pics:

Just make sure that you are OK with the size and weight of the lens. I don't have a problem with it, but others might:

Also, not every wedding venue will have the working distance you might want.

Outdoors, one can always use "sneaker zoom !

Nikon D3 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/80s f/4.0 at 200.0mm iso200

I did try to shoot some limited wedding shots with it, but realized that I preferred the 70-200VR for that. Maneuvering the 200VR around a wedding seemed a bit much, at least for me.....

Best Regards,

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow