A7r 24-70 vs Nex-7 16-70 vs EM1 12-40

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Camley
Regular MemberPosts: 327Gear list
Like?
Re: A7r 24-70 vs Nex-7 16-70 vs EM1 12-40
In reply to LTZ470, 5 months ago

LTZ470 - Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure what you mean when you say that to get the Olympus performance the FE mount lenses will have to be enlarged in diameter.

Are you saying that an EM-1 will produce comparable IQ to an a7r with, for example, a Zeiss 55 f/1.8 or 35 f/2.8 lens. DxO doesn't agree with you.

As far as I can see, the Sony E mount has the same throat diameter as the Olympus OM full frame mount and it is larger than the Leica M series full frame mount.

In any case, I can fit lenses from larger diameter mounts (e.g. the Canon EF) via an adapter and get excellent results on my a7.

It's easier to get sharp corners in the squarish-shaped 4/3 format - that's one reason it is used for point and shoot cameras. The 4/3 format is OK for general photography but it certainly isn't ideal for landscapes. The full frame (and APSC) sensor can easily be cropped to 4/3 if required.

EM-1 images may look sharp in the corners compared to some APSC/full frame camera/lens combinations but the reason is that the image corners have been permanently cropped compared to these formats!

Camley's gear list:Camley's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow