G6 vs newest sensors: Real difference in high ISO noize

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Øyvin Eikeland
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?
Re: G6 vs newest sensors: Real difference in high ISO noize
In reply to texinwien, 9 months ago

texinwien wrote:

The formula for determining the exact ISO value at any pixel on the x-axis is 50 * 2^(n/60), where 'n' is the number of pixels from x=50 ISO (the far left of the graph). The center of the furthest right E-M5 dot is 473 pixels to the right of x=50 ISO. Plugging that into our formula, we have:

50 * 2^(473/60) = 11,806 ISO

If anything, the graph is unfair to the E-M5 by 42 ISO steps

BR,

Øyvin Eikeland

Hi,

I am not too concerned about the graphical presentation of the data. If you hover your mouse over the samples the actual measurements are shown. For example:

G6:

Measured ISO: 12663

Manufacturer ISO: 12800

Dynamic range: 5.59Ev

OM-D E-M5:

Measured ISO: 5953

Manufacturer ISO: 12800

Dynamic range: 7.5Ev

I have learned(from this forum) that when both cameras are set at ISO12800 the resulting shutter speed and aperture can be the same for both cameras. The difference in measured iso comes from the fact that olympus deliberately under-exposes the sensor and apply gain digitally in post processing. If I (for some reason) need to shoot at ISO12800 I should compare the two measurement points listed above. It would not be correct to compare them directly I think. That would imply a 2-stop advantage to the OM-D E-M5. How do I calculate the correct dynamic range when both cameras are set at ISO 12800?

BR,

ØE

Øyvin Eikeland's gear list:Øyvin Eikeland's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow