Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 5,004Gear list
Like?
Reducing/removing interference
9 months ago

I already posted this in the Retouching forum, but I figured I'd post it here as well as I'm sure this forum also has some good advice.  I'm trying to capture the condition of a silk embroidery I inherited.  I'm not going to sell it, but rather want to document its condition to ensure that I can identify or track any changes.

However, the thread "pixels" of the embroidery coupled with the sensor pixels of my camera are causing an interference pattern in the image that I'd like to mitigate - either through retouching or via a better shooting workflow.

Full 12MP image

100% crop - the yellow banding is assumed to be interference

On the retouching front, I think it might be difficult to remove the banding without also losing much of the detail that I'd like to preserve that documents the subjects condition.  But. I'd welcome any suggestions on PP remedies.

Since I own this embroidery, I am free to reshoot it at any time and would welcome suggestions for how to avoid this issue should it come to that.  I shot these from about 5 feet with slight zoom (to fill the frame to 80-90%) - then cropped out the background edges.  The front glass was removed and diffused on-camera flash used for lighting.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow