Potential dead horse: how bad is FF's deep DoF disadvantage?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,011
Like?
Re: Potential dead horse: how bad is FF's deep DoF disadvantage?
In reply to sportyaccordy, 6 months ago

sportyaccordy wrote:

So my question is, for folks who have used an array of different formats extensively, how much does this affect real world shooting? Did you ever find yourself frustrated with the inability to get deep DoF from larger formats, or is it not that big of a deal?

Real world.....

I find that for very close in shots like portraits in good light, DOF can be too shallow for my liking with FF and MFT can be useful wide open. Of course you can always stop down the FF lens and still get what I like.....just a bit easier with MFT.

Once you get even a bit of distance though and it is fine wide open and I much prefer FF.

EDIT..this photo would have been better a stop down but if you don't pixel peep would print ok..

Sony A7 and Canon FD 85 1.2 L at 1.2 as taken jpeg

It seems to me more and more like no format is superior to another... they all have advantages and disadvantages that make them better for different kinds of photography, with no clear all around winner

My FF A7 is my favourite camera for most things but for telephoto or macro, I prefer my MFT Panasonic GX7.

All systems have their for and against.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ZeroNew
(unknown member)
DustNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow