How can you adjust jpeg compression in Olympus O-MD E-M1?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Strawberry Pie
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Re: How can you adjust jpeg compression in Olympus O-MD E-M1?
In reply to Garry Schaefer, 9 months ago

Garry Schaefer wrote:

I am not aware of any other camera make or model with a less compressed jpeg (most start at 4:1). I am also not aware of any camera in which you can set the degree of jpeg compression in the way common to computer based software (as a percentage or on an arbitrary numerical scale). Perhaps you or others could enlighten me if that is not the case.

You are probably right; it may be that no other camera offers any better, and I'm on a Quixotic quest to change the impossible.  Actually, now that you mention it, my Nikon D300 also doesn't offer finer control over the jpeg compression, and its jpegs also exhibit such issues even at the optimal settings. I had long ago stopped using jpegs in favor of raw because of the image quality.  (This was possible for me with Nikon NEF files because the raw converter in Apple Aperture can produce exactly the same output in terms of color and contrast – or near enough that I can't tell the difference. Unfortunately, Aperture does not do such a good job with Olympus's raw files; the jpegs and the raw files are visibly different, even in the latest version of Aperture. I'm currently shooting in jpeg+raw format on the O-M1, hoping for the day when Aperture will do a better job with the raw files....)

Mike

Strawberry Pie's gear list:Strawberry Pie's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow