Potential dead horse: how bad is FF's deep DoF disadvantage?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,451Gear list
Like?
Re: no disadvantage
In reply to Steen Bay, 9 months ago

Steen Bay wrote:

joejack951 wrote:

tko wrote:

And I own a FF lens that stops down to F/50 or something silly.

What lens? My 105VR will display f/57 when stopped down to f/22 and at minimum focusing distance, but that's just Nikon's way of displaying the light loss at close focus distances (effective aperture as explained in the lens manual). DoF is still f/22.

If you shoot af f/22 at 1:1 magnification, then I think that you're effectively shooting at app. f/44 in terms of both exposure, DoF and diffraction. Kind of like using a 2x TC.

I misspoke when I said f/22. The 105VR stops down to f/32 and will display f/57 (IIRC) at minimum focusing distance.

Unless I've always read/understood incorrectly, effective aperture only affects exposure. DoF and diffraction are not affected because the aperture blades aren't actually moving. TC's have glass in them that changes the image being projected by the lens. That's a lot different than moving the lens elements further from the sensor (like an extension tube).

I swear that my lens manual went into detail about this but the Nikon lens manual online mentions nothing about effective aperture. Weird. I need to check that when I get home.

Any care to chime in on the true effects of shooting up close?

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ZeroNew
(unknown member)
DustNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow