Potential dead horse: how bad is FF's deep DoF disadvantage?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,110
Like?
Re: no disadvantage
In reply to sportyaccordy, 5 months ago

You start out correct. For the same DOF, all formats act about the same.

How did you jump to the conclusion that FF has a DOF disadvantage? Just stop down until you get what you want.

Sure, sometimes FF sensors are worse per unit area, but sometimes they're better. No clear advantage. And I own a FF lens that stops down to F/50 or something silly. I'd rather shoot a D800 stopped down than a smaller format at the equivalent F-stop.

Your conclusion is wrong. Large formats can get the restricted DOF that small formats can't touch. And they can be stopped down to get the same DOF as smaller formats.

Think of M43rds (for example) as being FF but the sensor cut into four pieces, and three thrown away. How can it be better with less? Makes no common sense.

Can you think of a case where a cell phone is superior to a M4rds camera for photography purposes?

It seems to me more and more like no format is superior to another... they all have advantages and disadvantages that make them better for different kinds of photography, with no clear all around winner

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ZeroNew
(unknown member)
DustNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow