Interesting article posted by Kirk Tuck...All the cameras are better than you are

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,613Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting collection of logical fallacies by Kirk Tuck
In reply to Jim Salvas, 6 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

Ulric wrote:

DaveLemi wrote:

This is well thought out and delves into what is sufficient-

http://ripecamera.blogspot.com/2014/03/all-cameras-are-better-than-you-are.html

Well, if we shot them the way we did in the film days (when we were more than reasonably happy with the performance of our film+cameras) that would mean using good techniques.

No, because technology didn't stop in the 60's, it hasn't stopped now and it won't stop any time soon. If I use my car in the same way as I would a cart pulled by donkeys, it wouldn't make me a good driver, it would make me an idiot, despite the fact that people were more than reasonably happy with the performance of carts pulled by donkeys.

Your reductio ad absurdum argument does not work because you don't refute his main poin here, which is that good technique is still paramount. I think that point is unassailable.

Yes, but that is my point, not his. His point is that obsolete technique is paramount.

And where are his other logical fallacies?

To be honest, I lost interest after the first page, but here's a good one:

But I know why we upgraded. The camera companies did a remarkably good job at creating the appearance of competition between photographers.

It is more likely that new equipment could be used in ways that donkey-cart equipment couldn't.

My friends in the film industry call this "New York Lighting" which suggests that a New York D.P. walks into any room/location, no matter how heinous the light, and if there are enough aggregated photons floating around (no matter how green or uni-directional), they consider the room "well lit" making the effort of additional lighting unnecessary.

Here he compares bad X to good Y, implying that Y is better than X, where it would be more valid to compare bad X (available-light photography as described as above) to bad Y (deer-in-headlight flash photography). Or good X to good Y.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow