Interesting article posted by Kirk Tuck...All the cameras are better than you are

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,667
Like?
Why has mirrorless been slow to catch on...
In reply to Guy Parsons, 7 months ago

The 'intelligence' remark is an offbeat reference there, but you have to take it in context of the adjacent passages. I believe this is known as 'self depreciating humor'.

As for why µ43 and mirrorless in general have been slow to catch on in some areas... I see this as a matter of inertia and available products. Look where it has sold well, versus where it has been slow. What else is different about those markets?

Mirrorless is selling very well in the emerging Asian nations, where there hasn't been a thriving photography market in the past, and Japan, where they're quick to adopt new consumer tech, almost to a point of obsession.

It isn't selling well in the EU and US, two markets where photography as a hobby or pastime has been active for a very long time. Unlike the Asian nations, there is an existing base of owners who have a substantial investment in current gear. There is a thriving market in used gear. And, perhaps, some entrenched thinking - people like to stay with what worked well in the past. In these cases, the existing market, existing line of available gear and glass, and existing way of thinking are factors not found in the emerging Asian economies.

So it is interesting to note that mirrorless is selling well when it's a clean slate - no huge numbers of DSLR owners with existing gear. Eventually, the existing base will fade as a factor, as volume of production and amortization of development costs (from sales to Asia and Japan) brings mirrorles prices down, while µ43 already whips the market leaders on diversity of body style, and available lens selection is getting better every quarter.

Otherwise, I completely agree with Kirk's conclusions, and he has a lot more experience and gear than I have.

The best photos tend to be shot at low ISO's. Look at the challenges: the winners are almost always below ISO800.

I will say the EM5/EM1 IBIS has really helped me, but nothing that couldn't also be done with a good tripod and more effort.

And the EM5's PP headroom was a big leap over my previous E3 and EP1. It means I don't have to focus so much on lighting and exposure, or drag reflectors or light sources around with me. But, nothing that couldn't also be done with my old E1, some light sources and reflectors, and a lot more time and experience.

We don't need upgrades other than maybe better and more diverse glass.  In fact I do have some doubts as to whether the EM1 was worth that much more than the EM5. But, I already have it, it AF's my ZD 35-100 very nicely, and it's too much trouble to sell it off.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow