olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,918
Like?
Re: There is no magical size/weight advantage
In reply to MattZisk, 7 months ago

MattZisk wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

MattZisk wrote:

Thanks, IVN. I loaded the blog page linked on Nikon rumors in Chrome and translated it (see HERE). There is an example provided that includes size and (if I am reading it correctly) suggests this example lens would be about 9-10 inches in length, which is about double the length of the current Nikon 70-300. The blog page reads:

• Patent Publication No. 2013-210475
    • Publication date 2013.10.10
    • Filing date 2012.3.30
  • Example 1
    • Focal length f = 72.10-135.70-291.00mm
    • Fno. 4.13-4.5-5.77
    • Angle of view 2ω = 13.0-6.9-3.2 °
    • Image height Y = 8.19mm
    • 229.4-235.8-234.5mm in total length
    • 20 pieces of 13-group lens configuration
    • Six ED glass
    • Three fluorite

At least the length is definitely wrong there. The length of the FX version is 140mm at 70mm FL and 190mm at 300mm FL and I doubt that the Nikon 1 version would be longer, in fact, I'd say it's impossible.

I'm not confident enough to say "impossible" but I agree, it casts some doubt on this patent application as representing what may be in development (I edited my earlier post to add a bit more information I garnered from the application, itself, which may cast further doubt on the correspondence between patent application and actual lens for the N1 -- the numbers quoted in teh blog are what are found in the application, by the way).

I can't judge the credibility of that blog, but in my opinion it is "just a blog". There is definitely something seriously wrong with that lens data, so because of that obvious error, in my opinion, there is no credibility behind the rest of the information either. I mean, really, we are not talking about negligible differences, but at least 30-40% error in length. The guy should have checked the FX version of that lens before spreading that rumor. I don't know if the patent number is real or not, and if it exists what it contains, but until it comes from Nikon, to me this is just a general discussion.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow