Interesting article posted by Kirk Tuck...All the cameras are better than you are

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,575Gear list
Like?
Cork, this really is a problem
In reply to Corkcampbell, 4 months ago

It is a problem that we can overcome, but it still is a problem for us.

As someone who used to hire people, I was constantly appalled by the high percentage of high school and even college graduates who could not read or write properly. Of course, we could overcome this problem by providing remedial training after they are hired. And there are many jobs that don't require these skills at all, so it wasn't a deal breaker in ever case. But it was a confounding annoyance, especially when you consider we spend considerably more on education per student than any other nation on earth does.

A disturbing portion of our highly skilled workers had to be immigrants. While I have absolutely nothing against immigration, I always felt we should have done a better job preparing our own children for these jobs.

Somehow, the Europeans and Asians are still able to cram their student's heads with subjects like language, literature, arts, and science.... while ALSO teaching them about recycling, feminism, global warming, and gay rights.

We seem to be only capable of doing the later. And at a much higher cost per student.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow