Sony 16-50 2.8 vs Sigma 17-70 "C"

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,366Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony 16-50 2.8 vs Sigma 17-70 "C"
In reply to ERN812, 6 months ago

Perhaps consider what focal lengths you are likely to use most and how important extended warranty (Sigma warranties are now usually 3 years, Sony still 1 year) and weather sealing are to you (only in the Sony).

My copy of the Sony 16-50 is very sharp from 20mm-50mm, and has nice contrast and colors, but is really quite soft at 16-18mm unless I stop down to about f8 and sharpen quite aggressively. Even then, the corners can be a mess. My Sigma 10-20 smokes the Sony in terms of sharpness at the wide end. I still like the lens as a walkaround - you just have to try to remember to stop it down when shooting subjects like landscapes or architecture at the wide end. Some also complain about the complex distortion at the wide end, but to be honest I find DXO Optics Pro does a decent job of dealing with that (I shoot raw). The build and focus are very nice - there are a few reports of SSM failures on some 16-50s, but not many. maybe also consider the Tamron 17-50 2.8 too? I found that better at the wide end than the Sony, but of course it's not SSM/HSM and isn't quite as wide...

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow