Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ERN812
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Sony 16-50 2.8 vs Sigma 17-70 "C"
9 months ago

I'm looking to upgrade from the kit lens on the a57 and am considering Sony's 16-50mm and Sigma's 17-70 "C" lens.  Any thoughts on the two?  I looked at a couple reviews online and it seems like they are both similarly sharp when comparing them at the same focal length and aperture, but the Sigma looks a little sharper wide open (which, of course, is slower than the Sony at the longer end).  Both have the SSM/HSM focusing mechanism.  Given all this, it seems like my decision really boils down to whether I want the faster apertures on the long end of the lens in the Sony or the greater reach of the Sigma.  (I know the Sony is also weather sealed, which might be nice to have at some point but my a57 is not and I don't plan on upgrading cameras any time soon.)

I've also looked at the Sigma 17-50 2.8 a little bit.  It too has the HSM motor and seems slightly sharper than the Sony 16-50 at 2.8, but the Sony seems to have it beat once stopped down.

Any advice anyone has would be much appreciated.

Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow