G6 vs newest sensors: Real difference in high ISO noize

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Øyvin Eikeland
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
Re: G6 vs newest sensors: Real difference in high ISO noize
In reply to Ulric, 6 months ago

Ulric wrote:

BTW, when you look at the "Measured ISO" that DxOmark use, don't assume that it is more real or more correct than the manufacturer stated ISO. It is just defined differently. Look at their measurements within their own coordinate system and you'll be fine.

Hi, I have problems interpreting the DXO graphs. Some help would be appreciated. DXO is apparently calculating the "real" iso sensitivity of the sensor by exposing the sensor to a known intensity and then calculate the sensitivity from the raw files. Is this correct? The points in the graph are then plotted against measured ISO and not against what you set on the camera. The right-most data-point for the OM-D E-M5 is taken with the camera iso set to 25600, right? The measured ISO for this setting is only 11848. Therefore the data point is plotted at 11848 along the X-axis. What I do not get is this: How can I find the dynamic range (or SNR) you will get if I set the camera to an ISO of 25600? If the dynamic range in the raw-files are indeed 6.61EV, isn´t it unfair to plot the point just below 12800?

BR,

Øyvin Eikeland

Øyvin Eikeland's gear list:Øyvin Eikeland's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow