Is image stabilization really the stuff?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
nzmacro
Forum ProPosts: 10,036Gear list
Like?
Re: Danny: the curious case of the EF 300/4L IS
In reply to Keit ll, 9 months ago

Keit ll wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

I have grown tired of the arguments against IBIS , mainly coming from people who have never used a camera which has it. The fatuous point that it doesn't stop movement was only an issue which confused Sony's Marketing Department in the past , not actual users!

Sony seem to have given up on IBIS & quite frankly I have now given up on Sony ....... It's still provided for some A-mount cameras but how much longer they will be around is anyone's guess ? It's interesting how the arguments against IBIS in the NEX's seem to be forgotten when talking about the A-mounts.....

The confusion over IBIS in Sony cameras have caused a mess with 3rd party lens suppliers who used to offer ILIS but who , apparently , were persuaded by Sony to drop it because some users didn't know how to switch it off.

Sony themselves were too lazy to incorporate a sensing mechanism which disabled IBIS when an active ILIS lens was mounted - I expect the necessary software programming was beyond their capabilities ?

I've had 5 cameras (including the NEX-7) with OIS and you are right, you can turn them off and that's exactly what I did Did I try it, yes sure did. IBIS I would also turn off and its fairly easy really, the camera instructions tell me to turn it off under the conditions I shoot in and those I shoot with choose to turn it off for what they take. Sports and bird shooters have different needs, high shutter speeds.

So for a lot of us, we do realise the issue, but also understand why a lot want it. IMO the best thing Sony could do, is to out IBIS in the E mount's. That solves the whole issue for sure. Its when others tell us that don't need that we do need it.

If I needed IBIS, I would never have bought a NEX. Its a bit like people moving next to the airport here and then complaining about the noise Don't do it.

All the best and its just not something I need.

Danny.

Thanks Danny . I did I know that IBIS was not fitted when I bought my NEX 7 but thought that maybe I was wrong about needing it but discovered that I was right ! The matter has resolved itself for me as damage has rendered my N7 irreparable. It is a good test of a camera that when that happens do you replace it with the same camera or try something else ? The problem that I now have is that such a camera does not exist. The Olympus OMD M1 comes closest but I am not sure that it has the resolution to keep me happy.

I want a stabilised lightweight compact to compliment my A900 but would consider a Sony 7r but the lack of suitable lenses & some other issues makes me hesitate. I hope that while I am waiting some other development may fit my requirements, problem is I might not last that long !

The Fuji XT-1 with three good quality stabilised zooms would be OK for a while but , as a pensioner, I'm not that well supplied with money that I can afford to experiment again without being sure.

Awww I'm in the same boat with money. I need to be careful as well. The only reason I bought the lenses I own now, is that I know I won't be able to afford them when I retire, not too far off and the pension is not a lot to live off here as well. We will even have to cut back to one car and be careful with petrol, we have talked about it.

The EM1 is a heck of a camera IMO, very nice, but so is the GX7 at a much lower cost. Fuji looks interesting for sure. If Sony has the lenses that you like with OIS (that's the term I use) then that could be a good way to go if you want an APS-C. The cost is amazing if that AF is as good as everyone is saying it is. Need to wait and see though.

With the 24mp sensor in the NEX-7, you already know how good it is, so if the A6000 at that cost is better again and especially with fast AF, its a bargain mate, it really is. So its a matter of whether you want and need IBIS or can deal with OIS. I know people both need it and want it, for most it makes perfect sense IMO.

All the best and cost always does come into it, trust me I know that for real

Danny.

nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Mavica CD1000 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow