Dear Canon, I'm not buying anymore DSLR Gear get on with the M

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Lawrencew
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,532Gear list
Like?
Case in point - coat pocket pics
In reply to T3, 8 months ago

T3 wrote:

The whole notion that size is irrelevant unless it can "fit in my jeans pocket" is really absurd, and narrow-minded. LOL. There's a lot more to the size issue than merely the "jean pocket" test.

First of all, you are showing a startling incapacity to understand that it isn't just about the camera body and a single lens, it's about being able to carry a camera with a complement of lenses in your bag. Mirrorless lenses are absolutely more compact than DSLR lenses. Here's a picture to prove my point, below. On the left, we have the Canon 10-22 EF-S for Canon APS-C DSLR. In the middle, we have the Canon 11-22 EF-M for Canon APS-C mirrorless. (The last lens, on the right, is an equivalent m4/3 lens.) As you can see, even though both of these Canon lenses are specifically designed for APS-C sensors, the mirrorless lens is a fraction of the size of the DSLR lens. And a fraction of the weight, too. The difference in size is also quite prominent from the front, where the EF-S lens has a huge 77mm filter thread, while the EF-M lens has a very small 55mm filter thread.

Here's another image to illustrate how compact mirrorless is compared to DSLR, again with these same Canon lenses (the EF-S lens is mounted to the EF-to-EF-M adapter, which basically shows where the lens would be positioned if it were on a DSLR like an SL1-- double the length of mirrorless!):

These pics were taken on Saturday when we went shopping at the outlet mall, but which is in a very photogenic place and so I slipped the EOS-M + 11-22 into my coat pocket

Old Customs House, Portsmouth Gunwharf Keys

Basin in Portsmouth Naval Dockyards, with modern destroyer alongside

HMS Victorious

People abseiling down Spinakker Tower, Portsmouth Gunwharf Keys

I would never have taken a DSLR with me in the same circumstances.

And a compact camera would never have given me such a wide PoV.

The best camera is the one you have with you, and only a MILC would have fitted the bill on this occasion.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Lawrence
My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/lozwilkes/

Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow