Is image stabilization really the stuff?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,777
Like?
Danny: the curious case of the EF 300/4L IS
In reply to nzmacro, 6 months ago

nzmacro wrote:

We are all different. Some want it, some need it and some couldn't care less. Heck you already know there is an entire forum here at DPR that can't live with out it !! Not that most would actually know.

I would find it too restrictive in the shutters speeds it probably helps in. I use fast shutter speeds or a tripod. Macro I use only flash, so again it would be turned off. So for me personally, it might as well be a a brick. It would be the first thing I turned off and AF would be next.

So lets say at certain shutter speeds that IBIS gives you an extra 2-4 stops (so some might say), how many stops does a tripod give you in that case ??

The guys I shoot with use long fast AF OIS Canon lenses, out of nine only one I can think of uses OIS, the rest all turn it off, however Brian does leave his on with the 100-400mm. So they would treat IBIS exactly the same, it would be off. A lot of us just don't fall into the category that IBIS could be useful. Would I use IBIS at 1/250- 1/4000, nope, would I use IBIS at under a couple of seconds, nope. Would I use it with flash, nope. So it is rather limited in its use. Some would love it just the same and fair enough as well.

All the best Greg and yep, if you asked in a certain forum here, its the best thing since sliced bread

Danny.

Ditto, this sums it up perfectly.

And yet there is one lens: the EF 300/4L IS, with a very clunky I-st generation IS, which I can't turn OFF quickly enough - esp. for smallish targets and at mid distances, say starting at about 10 meters. If ON it guarantees a ruined shot (on Eos body)!!

So, why is it curious? Because... if mounted through SA on Nex-7(or through Speed Booster) the very I-st thing I do is to turn ON the IS immediately, esp. if this lens is used with 2x teleconverter (Kenko MC7, making it effectively 600mm, and surprisingly AF still works, despite the combo being now f/8, moreover... with AF - as slow as it is on N7's CDAF using Canon's lenses - the results are ALWAYS more accurate free-hand with this particular lens, in comparison to what I'm able to achieve with manual focus, magnification and peaking). Go figure: the same lens, two camera systems, on one it is my bane, on the other my savior .

There is also just one other lens, which has IS I've learned to trust in [almost] all circumstances: the EF 100/2.8L IS Macro - doesn't show IQ degradation at either MFD (as a macro lens this means 30cm) or infinity, and shooting moving targets seems not to be affected with IS being ON or OFF !!

So, the bottom line from me = no generalizations pls. - even in most simple and clear-cut cases there might be lurking some surprises!!

jpr2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow