Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,721Gear list
Like?
Gear Aquisition Syndrome (G.A.S.) Is Older Than You Might Think
9 months ago

I was watching a series on classic TV shows tonight. The segment that got my attention was from a 1972 Tonight Show, in which Johnny Carson's guest was Sammy Davis Jr. It turns out that Mr. Davis was a rather accomplished and extremely enthusiastic photographer; several of his photos have actually adorned major magazine covers.

During the discussion, Davis likened the compulsion to buy more and more new camera gear to drug addiction. He said his wife tried to steer him past camera stores because he bought too much stuff. He said that he tried to fight it, but with little success ("just let me get that 135mm lens and then I'll quit"). Carson even quipped "you have a Nikon on your back".

Purely FYI.  I found this interesting and thought others might as well.  If nothing else, those of us who suffer the occasional attack of G.A.S. can take solace that we share the affliction with world famous celebrities.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow