Interesting article posted by Kirk Tuck...All the cameras are better than you are

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Jack Hass
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
Re: f2.8 zooms
In reply to Bhima78, 6 months ago

Bhima78 wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

One of the big attractions of m43 for me was the availability of f2.8 zooms for about 1/3 the cost of FF equivalents. In my book, that's better value for money.

Hrmm... I'm not seeing that. My DSLR 2.8 Sigma standard zoom (17-50) with OIS was only $500. There is nothing in the m43 line that has those specs for anywhere near that price. Well, unless you plan to buy a fuji x-e1 (only $800 WITH that stellar 2.8-4 lens).

I'm personally waiting for companies like sigma to start shaking things up in this space to get more lens competition going. Though with my luck they'll probably make an APS-C sized Foveon mirrorless interchangeable camera.

I think you overestimate sigma, even fuji, and underestimate MFT. I think it was also in reference to lenses like the Canon 70-200 F2.8LII, which runs about $2500. The Panasonic 35-100 has the same F stop, same FL, and believe it or not is very close in IQ. PZ tested both of these lenses, and the figures are as follows: The peak for the Canon was 3469/3147/3183 @F5.6, while the Panny was 2909/2572/2569 @F4. This is pretty close considering the Canon zoom was tested on a camera with 5mp more resolution.

When you look at this comparison, then you consider the price is $2500 vs $1275 (literally half), i have to agree with Jacques about the value.

-- hide signature --

May Satan forever guide you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow